Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Latitude & good omens

Have just about recovered from the being drenched and stuck in an eternal traffic jam that dove-tailed my Latitude experience. The day was quite an odd one with alternate sunshine/rain for Thom Yorke and torrential downpours in between. My rain dance worked to get everyone into the tent for my set ; ) obviously.

We had to get a little boat with all the equipment on it across a lake to get to the Sunrise Arena where I was playing which is by far one of the stranger pre-gig experiences I have had. Saw Thom Yorke play 'Videotape' and 'True Love Waits' through sleepy eyes ("True Love lives on lollipops and crisps") and topped it off by dribbling over Nick Cave on the main stage.

I did a little interview with The Quietus here just before Latitude which you can read here: http://thequietus.com

The week was topped off by hearing that my good friend Mr. Sweet Billy Pilgrim has been nominated for the Mercury Music Prize. A long time coming... and some well deserved attention coming his way I hope... You can download the remix he did for me just last week from here if you haven't already done so. I can vouch for the fact that he recorded the entire album in his shed. It is a very nice shed though with lots of musical oddities and goodies stashed in it.

So, good omens for good music and those who take their time. I am reminded of the fable of the tortoise and the hare and patrick wolf's complaint from 'The Libertine'  that "whoever shouts the loudest gets the most attention". Maybe it's the quiet ones you should always watch out for...









 

No comments:

Post a Comment